Sony TC-355

In my spare time, I have decided to resurrect my 40 plus year old Sony Tc-355 reel to reel recorder. I cleaned and lubricated all the necessary parts and played the unit for about two hours. Then it started to slow up and finally stopped. After letting it cool down for about 2 hrs., it functioned properly again. Same existing condition repeated itself. It appears that the motor is either on its last leg or needs some tlc. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am also looking for operator/service manual with schematics. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Posted on General
westcoastresale avatar
9 years ago #2
westcoastresale
Fresh Member
Blogs: 0
Forum: 1
Votes: 0

Hi, I have a sony tc 355 that won't rewind, I have opened it up and there is 1 belt for play it is in great shape as well as the belt for the counter.
I will be posting this unit on ebay for parts/ or repair if I can't get it going. the motor is in excellent shape. Any help would be great. Brent WCR

backplay avatar
9 years ago #3
backplay
Platinum Member
Blogs: 0
Forum: 417
Votes: 2

Hello Kodiak63 and Westcoastresale, welcome to the forum.

I hope you will like it here.

It seems that motor that is going strong of your tc 355, westcoastresale would be the solution for kodiak63's tc 355.

Perhaps you could work something out here?

Sponsored Links
ronheller avatar
9 years ago #4
ronheller
Fresh Member
Blogs: 0
Forum: 1
Votes: 0

I've also got a Sony TC-355 deck, purchased new in the late 60s, which I'm willing to sell, if someone is interested.

It hasn't been used for a while, but it was working fine the last time I had it hooked up, with the following minor issues:
Speed was not consistent (I assume belt adjustment/replacement would fix it)
There was some bleed-through between the tracks

I’ve got the original dust cover, although it (the cover) is not in great shape, and the owner’s manual as well.

I’m in St Louis, MO USA

backplay avatar
9 years ago #5
backplay
Platinum Member
Blogs: 0
Forum: 417
Votes: 2

Hi Ronheller, welcome here I wish you good luck in finding a buyer. Why would you want to sell it? Don't you think it is a great piece for "later" for the grandchildren? By that time those things must be real collector items (I think)

recordest avatar
8 years ago #6
recordest
Fresh Member
Blogs: 0
Forum: 1
Votes: 0

I found a TC 355 ( oddly 1 blk from I-355) in the trash. It comes on and turns the tape, but, it only runs in REAL FAST speed, as though Alvin and friends made a home in it.... The 3 speed change switch moves but to no effect.
It would be nice to have use of the 1 7/8 isp as I recorded a bunch of Fire Sign Theater, Brutforce Cybernetics, music and interviews off the radio in the late 60's and early 70's and would like to get them .WAV s before they flak.

A scanned manual would be nice!
Any ideas on the speed change issue?

backplay avatar
8 years ago #7
backplay
Platinum Member
Blogs: 0
Forum: 417
Votes: 2

Recordest, welcome here I hope you will like the forum!
Perhaps Drfringe can give more insight

7 years ago #8
Eddie
Guest

Hello, It sounds like the belts on the tape recorder need to be replaced.
It is skipping when it gets hot.
I am looking for the tc-355 i bought one in 1970.
thanks

5 years ago #9
Buddy
Guest

Please notify me if you still have the Sony TC 355 Reel to Reel. Thank You.

5 years ago #10
Reply to the high speed ...
Guest

In reply to the high speed problem.

It could be the large Idler wheel,

just above the fly wheel remove the

clip and remove the wheel you will

see a small lever it might need a bit

of oil and the same with the Ideler wheel

While your at it oil all idler wheels

that was my problem. It was the little

lever.it was dry.

Jerry

1 month ago #11
PC
Guest

There's an idler wheel attached to a mechanism in there. I'm betting that the hinge that is part of the speed selector is stuck in one position. If you put some 3 in 1 oil on the hinge and let it work in there, it should work itself loose. If I remember correctly, you have to take the idler wheel off to get to the hinge by removing the holding clip. Good luck.

Ask Your Question

Email to be Notified (Optional):
Get a paid expert's assistance [?]
By clicking 'Submit' you agree to the Site Terms
By entering this site you declare you read and agreed to its Terms, Rules & Privacy and you understand that your use of the site's content is made at your own risk and responsibility.