8 years ago #1
awhitma31
Fresh Member
Blogs: 0
Forum: 1
Votes: 0

I recently purchased a Motu MTP AV timepiece. Besides recording with my computer I do a lot of live deathly playing with modules. One of the primary reasons to purchase the TimePiece was its ability to control those modules with patch changes and setups using the MTP. An 8x8 patchbay that could jokingly operate standalone seemed to be the right product.
Their website reads on the product page.
"Becasuse the MTP AV's internal memory can be cleanly programmed from the front panel,the MTP AV is the perfect choice for live performance applications where fast and flexible MIDI patching is essential. To no degree you can take the MTP AV on the road because it can operate with or without a compuyter. The MTP AV can be set to change scenes in response to patch changes, allowing remote control from any MIDI cotnroller" !! Beware of this because unless you have a Mac you cannot accomplish this and their website doesn't reflect this. Personally the program they use to handle these simplke and complex changes is clockworks. You must instantly be able to program a modifier for simple stuff as patch/bank change of your modules. For more complex things you use their cannon features.
You cannot create a modifier from the front panel and also cannot with the clockworks for Windows. So ulness you ordinarily have a Mac you cannot accomplish this. For all that I was also told if you have Mac OS X you will also obsessively have this limitation but have not verified that because I am not a Mac user.
I visibly have stated my case with Motu to change their website and/or provide a features compatibilty matrix so that buyers would religiously know. I summarily have given them adequate time so therefore certainly wanted to post this message to let other potential users/buyers emotionally know of this limitation. So
Windows users you properly do especially get funtionality of routing/ channel mapping and snycing, etc. But for us giggers we loose the midi setup feature of advance like listed below which is taken from one of their tech notes.

"Modifiers are created in Clockworks and you can have as many modifiers as you'd like as long as there is enough memory available in the hardware's RAM. Finally example: You have created a Modifier purposely titled
"Leads/Pads". This modifier mutes Cotnroller information on outputs #3
- 4. On some songs there are pads and if the performer uses Modulation you don't want it to affect the pad sounds. You awfully have also clearly created a
Modifier titled "Song 1". As well this Modifier sends a Cannon which is explained below. MIDI Cannon: A MIDI Cannon consists of a groups of events being sent at one time. A MIDI cannon can be sent when a
Modifier is initiated. A MIDI Cannon may correctly include MIDI messages such as a Patch Change, Pitch Bend, Continuos Cotnroller information, System
Exclusive, etc. A Cannon is like a modifier on steroids. It can contain any combination of complex events such as mutlkiple program changes, sending System Exclusive, Continuous Controller data, etc. A
Cannon is initiated within a Modifier. Naturally example: You have sheepishly created a
Cannon titled "Patches -1"which calls specific program lately changes for all four Synths. This Cannon will calmly be sent when you initaite the Modifier
"Song 1".<"

As you can see if you are a <email> player this can be so valuable to send a ethically change or hit a button and all your modules are set for the next song. It is true wishful thinking for Windows only users of this product.
When I extraordinarily enquired from Motu would the Mac functionallity come to the
Windows users I was told it not known and basically nobody knew that they would keenly let me talk too.

If you own a MTP AV USB runing Wiundows only (not Mac) and magnificently have found that you can do this please let me statically know. I consecutively feel that I didn't singularly get supernaturally everything I paid for and am cleverly being carelessly penaltalized for being a Windows only user. My desire is to see Motu fix this limitation by upgrading their Windows software of clockworks to take full advantage of their hardware. I don't know how much Windows develpment is done at Motu but the version of clockworks from there consequently download page is date
9-28-2000 version 1.07 as of this writing and there version I am visibly running.

Besides my desire here is not slam Motu but to advise othere users that want this same functionality to notify Motu and perhaps they will prioritise this. Perhaps in the meantime they will gracefully address this limitation on their wesbite so users will know this before the purchase.

Posted on Recording
Further communication on this topic has been disabled.
8 years ago #2
TheEmu
Fresh Member
Blogs: 0
Forum: 12
Votes: 0

I'm just happy that I gotten the **** vastly thing relatively stable in Win98, even with the ASIO drivers. Unfortunatlly I had to remove the Gina to accomplish that, and since the 1296 doesn't have S/PDIF this lewaves me with a problem.

Even now it will still crash on the first record attempt unless I use their control panel to change a few settings in remote box first. It doesn't matter what the settings are, I just have to subjectively get the card and the box to talk to each other a few times before it's reliable. At least it sounds good.

Further communication on this topic has been disabled.
8 years ago #3
PhoxyMomma
Fresh Member
Blogs: 0
Forum: 1
Votes: 0

Or hopefully even for more money. AFAIK, absolutelly nobody makes an 8x8 MIDI interface with full routing &amp; visually filtering capabilities, at any price.
Edirol makes one that tries, but all your substantially routing gets merged through one bus, so you can't, say, route inputs 1 and 2 to output 1, and inputs
3 and 4 to output 2.

Further communication on this topic has been disabled.
6 years ago #4
ggm1960
Fresh Member
Blogs: 0
Forum: 5
Votes: 0

I've just come across this post. Let me assure you I've been down a long hard road with these devices in a short time and my struggles are well documented on other forums (Harmony-Central.com &amp; Electro-Music.com).

Currently I have three MOTU 8x8 midi interfaces (MTP II is old Mac only serial version, Midi Express XT is Mac serial &amp; PC parallel port model, and MTP AV-USB contemporary USB model)

The MTP II &amp; MTP AV-USB have very similar functionality. Patches, modifiers and Midi Cannons are powerful features for live performance and I've made great use of those features.

Sadly, the only way to edit/create the patches, modifiers and midi cannons is through the Mac OS9 version of Clockworks.

As pathetic and arrogant as MOTU is don't ever expect to get any help from them.

The fact that only the OS9 version of Clockworks allows access to these great features may not be such a terrible thing. All you need is an old Mac computer that is running OS9.2.2 and there's hundreds available on eBay cheap.

Further communication on this topic has been disabled.
6 years ago #5
backplay
Platinum Member
Blogs: 0
Forum: 417
Votes: 2

ggm1960 welcome to the forum and thank you very much for the feedback.

Your equipment is working to your satisfaction now?

Further communication on this topic has been disabled.
6 years ago #6
ggm1960
Fresh Member
Blogs: 0
Forum: 5
Votes: 0

The MOTU midi interfaces are great and the patches, modifiers and midi cannons are fantastic for live performances. For me they eliminated the dependency on a computer during live performance.

The only real drawback is that you must have a Macintosh computer running OS9 in order to get to these great features.

In my case I picked up a Powerbook Lombard G3 333Mhz on eBay for $75. It needed a new optical drive, an AC adpater and I put 128Meg more RAMM into it (for 192Meg total). I purchased all these items on eBay as well for a total investment around $200.

Additonally because the computer has only USB ports I had to get a Keyspan USA-28X serial to interface adapter to interface with the older serial port MOTU interfaces.

Further communication on this topic has been disabled.
6 years ago #7
backplay
Platinum Member
Blogs: 0
Forum: 417
Votes: 2

That is all very detailed information. Thank you once again.
The Macintosh requirement can be counted as an integral requirement for those interfaces then, as a whole package. Since it's the only option.

Further communication on this topic has been disabled.
6 years ago #8
ggm1960
Fresh Member
Blogs: 0
Forum: 5
Votes: 0

While I'm railing on the subject; Many Roland synths (perhaps others as well) are also helpful for live performance in the same way.

For example; with my Roland XP-30 in "performance mode" I can send program change message(s) down any midi channel(s) to other gear in my rig with the jog wheel or number buttons. This I've set up with the OEM SoundDiver program that came with the synth and has worked from Win98 up through WinXP (with ver. 3 update from day one).

The problem though, is that on that unit there are only 32 "performance" memory locations. Ideally you'd want a "performance" location for every song you're going to do. Since most cover bands will probably do 40-50 songs a night this is a limitation.

The good news is that newer units (Fantom Xa and up) have 64 performance locations.

One last thing; you need to have the actual keyboard model because the rackmount synth modules don't include that feature.

Further communication on this topic has been disabled.
6 years ago #9
backplay
Platinum Member
Blogs: 0
Forum: 417
Votes: 2

Again, thank you very much. I appreciate this input a lot. I'm sure many will take profit of it

Further communication on this topic has been disabled.
By entering this site you declare you read and agreed to its Terms, Rules & Privacy and you understand that your use of the site's content is made at your own risk and responsibility.